March 09, 2011

A New Yoga Experience

I tried a new yoga studio yesterday which is in the same building where I work.  I was really tempted to go to my usual place, but I thought I should change it up a little and try something new. 

Let's just say the greeting at the studio wasn't very warm.  The instructor didn't have me sign any waivers, which I thought was really weird, and she didn't tell me her name.  There are 2 studios and people were filing into both and I was given no direction of where to go or what props to grab when I got in there.  Already I was skeptical and class hadn't even started yet.

The instructor came in to the room and said that we would be holding poses for a long time and that yesterday she did only 6 poses in 3 hours.  I was in for the longest class in history. 
About 30 minutes into class we had done about 3 or 4 poses.  I hated it.  It was completely different from any kind of yoga I had done before, the people in the class were all chatting, the room was bright and it was kind of chilly in there.

Then, I realized how ridiculous I was being.  Everything I thought was negative and I was stopping myself from enjoying the class!!  The instructor started walking around and adjusting us in poses and I started to really get into class. 

I know I can get that way.  When I'm out of my comfort zone or dealing with any change, I start thinking really negatively.  Once I changed my thinking, I started to really like the class, and I'm planning on going back tomorrow!  I'm making it a goal to think more positively about myself and things in my life everyday :o)

Side Note:  The instructor asked during relaxation if anyones back or hips hurt.  I raised my hand because sometimes in Savasana my lower back really hurts.  She came over and asked me to pull my knees into my chest...ok, normal.  THEN...she straddled my legs and sat on them.  It was really difficult to keep a straight face but she was serious about it and she did it two more times!! Really my back felt much better after.  Although it was still prrrretty strange!

Source

No comments:

Post a Comment