February 23, 2011

The Dissapearing Act

This past January I had my co-worker take my measurments.  Then yesterday, I took them again.  I lost 2 inches off my butt.  Now, most people would be happy with this, but I didn't lose 2 inches of fat...my butt is signifactly less firm than it was before.  I lost muscle and I'm not happy about it.  Here's what I think happened...

Problem #1
I do a lot of cardio (about 6-7 times per week), and not enough strength training.  I teach two Boot Camp classes which include both cardio and strength, but again it's not dedicated to pure muscle building like Body Pump is, for example.  So, I am trying to dedicate Tuesday evening for legs/glutes and Wednesday afternoon for upper body .  I really feel like 2 workouts are not enough so I'm trying to sneak it in where I can, like on a late Saturday morning after a run. 

Problem #2
I haven't been able to eat meat or poultry for about 2 months.  This happens to me every once in a while-I just can't stomach the taste or texture for whatever reason.  I was a vegetarian for a while back in college, but it wasn't something I was every really planning on giong back to (I didn't really know what I was doing and gained weight and felt really tired).  Now, I'm not saying you can't build muscle being a vegetarian, you absolutely can.  I just know that it's easier for my body to build and keep muscle on when I'm eating foods like chicken and turkey.  So, I'm adding it back in.  I don't know if I could sit down and eat a plain chicken breast, but I'm sort of hiding it in foods that I'm making.  For example, I used ground chicken in a zucchini lasanga recipe last week and chicken breast in a chili recipe this week.  This way I don't really know I'm eating it.  I'd rather do this than depend on powders and supplements (although I do love my Optimum Nutrition whey protein), so we'll see how it goes!

Problem #3
My schedule is jam-packed!!  I work over 50 hours each week and it's like once I leave one job, I'm off to the next-Tuesday through Friday are pretty hellish and my only real day off is Saturday.  I don't want to sound like I'm complaining because I really love training and teaching, but it's starting to take over my life! I very rarely go out with friends because by the time I'm home at 8 on Friday, I just want to go to bed and  have to be up by 7 on Sunday to work, so Saturday night is out, too. I'm only 26...it's sad!  I have find a blanace which might mean leaving one job for the other. It's a really hard decision, but something I have to do.  I'm burnt out!

So anyway, in some way all of this relates to my butt and it's dissapearing act.  But, I'm going to take some action and fix the above problems!  It's good, it gives me a little project.

Here's my leg/glute workout from last night.  It took me about 30 minutes to complete and I'm feeling it today-it gets worse as the day goes on...YAY!

Walking Lunges (3x3 laps--about 13 lunges each way--10lb dbs)
Dead-lift (3x20--just the weight of the Smith Machine bar. I wanted to focus on my butt and not feel my lower back)
Smith Squats (3x15--again, just the weight of the bar so I could feel my butt)
Resistance Band Donkey Kicks (3x15 each leg)

No comments:

Post a Comment