February 20, 2011

The Sugar Addiction

Headaches, irritability, mood swings, and cravings.  This is what my life is like without sugar. 

At work on Thursday I felt a headache coming on around 4:00.  I very rarely get headaches so I knew something was going on.  I had plenty of caffeine so knew that wasn't the issue and I drink lots of water (usually 4-5 liters/day) so that wasn't it either.  When I thought back on what I ate I realized there was no sugar in my diet that day (aside from fruit).  Instead of thinking 'this is awful...I'm literally addicted to sugar' I thought 'I need to run to the cafe and get some rasinettes.'  So sad. $4.00 (rip-off) and a large container of chocolate covered raisins later, my headache was gone and I was on quite the sugar high for my Boot Camp class. 

Then yesterday I thought back on my week and realized how terrible my need for sugar really is.  I've given up candy and sugar before for a month or two at a time and I survived.  I think now I'm more addicted to it than ever.  Between the mini-eggs, conversation hearts, raisinettes, Crunch n' Munch, peanut butter M&Ms, yogurt covered almonds, M&M trail mix and lots of other things I'm sure I'm forgetting, it's time to get it under control! 

I know a lot of people say cold turkey won't work for them and it's just deprivation, but it works for me.  Since I'm not home baking cookies and muffins all week, my problem will  be not buying the candy at the store and at work.  I don't feel like I'm going to be depriving myself because half the time I'm eating the stuff, I don't even enjoy it or realize what I'm doing.  It's just mindless eating.  I'll have to find something else to do instead of stuffing my face...

My skin hates me.  I hate needing sugar.  I'm taking control and starting today...

Source

PS:  How ironic that the day I announce my break away from sugar, my sister announces she's going to bake tons of baked goodies...bring on those cheese wafers!

1 comment:

  1. I AM OBSESSED WITH YOUR BLOG!!! YOU ARE GORGEOUS!!! We are so alike, I NEED sugar!!! You are a lot stronger than me, I just can't break up with it! Good luck, and I am so excited for new blog friends!

    ReplyDelete