April 19, 2011

A Fun Weekend and New Foods!

The Weekend

My weekend started on Friday at 1:00!  My mom and I went shopping, as we do every Friday.  I got some cute tops at Macys and TJ Maxx, but ended up returning everything to TJ's since I didn't try it on in the store :(  After shopping, I was wiped our from such a busy week at work, so I went to bed really early and woke up early on Saturday for a 90-minute hot yoga class.  It was a really really good class.  I'm loving the new studio!  We held poses for a long time and the teacher was really thorough in his explanations which always helps!

After yoga, I cleaned then got ready for a day with my sister!  She had been in Aruba the previous week so we were in need of some time together!  We started with a run/walk around my town then got ready for a night out! 

We went out to dinner at Yella Grille, a cute little Mediterranean restaurant in downtown Andover.  I got a gift certificate for Christmas and was itching to use it.  This place was UNBELIEVABLE.  I really can not say enough about it! 

We started with Feta & Herb Spring Rolls which were delish, and a bottle of wine :)  YUM!  For dinner, I got a the Braised Eggplant & Zucchini Ratatouille--so so so good!  I was a little scared because it sounded a little too simple, but it was so good that I couldn't stop eating it.  Even when I was totally full, I still fit more in!  But, my sisters dinner stole the show!  She ordered the Mediterranean Chicken.  It was cinnamon chicken with almonds and greek yogurt. Oh. My. Gosh.  It was SO FREAKIN GOOD!  We both said repeatedly how much we loved our meals, and when the owner came to our table we were sure to tell her!  We finished off with a Strawberry and Nutella Crepe.  Seriously, this place is worth driving to if you don't live close to Andover.  It would be ideal for a date night, or even just a little lunch date.  Then, we migrated next door to Braisserie 28 (a wine bar) and polished off a carafe of Sangria, which seemed like a good idea until the last glass.  It made for a rough Sunday morning, but was completely worth it!

On Sunday we celebrated Easter since my sister is working on the real Easter.  We got our Easter baskets, had a delicious dinner, and, of course, ended up at Target.  I have a serious shopping addiction.  It's hereditary, passed down to me and my sister from my mom :)

New Foods

#1:  Kamut. 

I purchased Kamut this weekend at Whole Foods because I'm really trying to expand my food choices.  Oatmeal is great, quinoa is delicious, but there are SO MANY other grains out there.  I was initially drawn to the Kamut because of the protein content (8g per 1/2 cup).  Once I cooked it, I found that it was really similar to the flavor of oatmeal, it was just a little more chewy.  It's yummy!



#2:  Kumquats. 
These little guys are good!  I didnt' know anything about them, but Whole Foods had a little description about how to eat them.  They're like little oranges, but you eat the skin, which is really sweet.  The inside flesh is pretty sour so you don't have to eat it, but I did.  I ate a handful and I like them a lot.  They were a little pricey at $4 per container, but what do I care?  I spend like I'm rich, so $4 is nothing to me! (LIE! That's a lot of dough for a container of fruit!!!)


#3:  Almond, Peanut & Cashew Butter.

I haven't trusted my willpower against nut butters for a while.  In fact, I haven't bought a jar since January when I started eating PB2.  For a while I was eating a jar each week and I started feeling gross after eating that much, so I stopped. But! when I saw this for $4.99 at Target, I couldn't pass it up!  It's really good and I've been enjoying it on my morning Kamut.


I think that's it for now!  I'm off to eat my favorite tofu and watch Biggest Loser :)

1 comment:

  1. Found you, you little sneak...
    Hope you enjoyed your kumquats tonight! Maybe next time you can have them with a side of Kumnut....

    ReplyDelete