April 10, 2011

Spring Rejuvenation Cleanse

On Saturday, the yoga studio I go to had a nutrition workshop which was given by someone who graduated from IIN, where I am enrolled now.  The workshop was given to prepare us for a 5-day Spring cleanse.  Deborah spoke about why we should cleanse, what types of cleanses there are, and how this particular cleanse works. 

We learned that Spring is the best time to cleanse.  Deborah states "It is the season of new beginnings, renewal, and creation.  This is a time of self-awareness and self-expression."  This really resonates with me this Spring season!

One purpose of this cleans is to help detoxify the liver.  According to Deborah's handout, a liver imbalance can cause emotions such as anger, irritability, explosiveness and mood swings.  It can also lead to acne, allergies, and headaches.  I don't want any of those things!

So, for the next 5 days I am going to be eating as close to a vegan diet as I can.  This 5-day cleanse is chock full of organic fruits and vegetables (any kind and as much as I need!) which is perfect since I'm trying to get more in anyway!  Then I can add in whole grains and beans as needed.

The list of things to avoid is prettttty extensive:  sugar, artificial sweeteners, naturals sweeteners, animal protein, dairy, caffeine, alcohol, processed foods, and unhealthy fats.  YIKES!!

I took a trip to Whole Foods today and stocked up on organic apples, papaya, bananas, romaine lettuce, sweet potatoes and cantaloupe.  Since I already have some clementines, lemons and frozen fruit on hand, I didn't go too crazy, but I somehow ended up spending $33.  Hmmmm....... :)

Honestly, I'm usually pretty skeptical about cleanses and detoxes.  The last "cleanse" I did was the Fat Flush.  Sure, I lost weight, but then I gained 15 pounds, but that was after a much longer period of time and it totally destroyed my metabolism.  I'm definitely going to ease in and out of this one.  If I feel the need for more food, I'll eat it.  I just want to give this a good shot!

I'm excited to try it and see how I do.  I know that the first few days will be hard, but I think I can do it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment