April 16, 2011

Spring Cleanse: Day #5

I cheated again!


Yesterday, breakfast was a mango smoothie, I had an apple for a snack, some Whole Foods hot bar for lunch, and headed off to the mall with my mom (typical Friday activity).


While we were shopping, I started to get hungry again.  We stopped by the food court and got some food at Au Bon Pain.  They didn't really have anything that looked too satisfying, but I went with a the Mediterranean Wrap.  It was just a greek salad on lavash with a sun dried tomato relish.  So there was one of my cheats.  Not huge, but I'm not sure what was in the relish and I know the lavash wasn't allowed!  When I got home I had a greek yogurt (cheat #2) and some carrots with hummus.

In the end, I think this cleanse was a really good thing for me to do.  It helped me see just how foods effect my body.  Dairy makes me a little phlegmy, processed pasta and cheese give me a little stomach ache, I ate a LOT more veggies than I have been in the past, and I've reintroduced spinach smoothies into my diet!  I really do notice a change in how I feel after I eat processed foods now.  I thought it might all be in my head because it doesn't seem like just a few days of eating only whole foods would have that impact on me, but it absolutely did. 

From here, I'm definitely going to add chicken, eggs and red meat back into my diet, but I'm going to make a huge effort to keep up with the vegetables and whole foods.  I don't like how I feel after eating the processed foods, so why eat them?  I know it's really not avoidable and I will eat processed foods at some points, but I just won't eat them quite as much.  I'm also thinking about cutting dairy out of my diet and see how that works for a while.  I've done it before, and since I only eat greek yogurt and cheese, that shouldn't be too difficult.

So, that's it!  Cleanse over :o) 

No comments:

Post a Comment